Longmont Housing Authority Board Meeting – April 2023

Video Description:
Longmont Housing Authority Board Meeting – April 2023

Read along below:

Speaker 1 0:00
I’m doing I’m Excuse me. Erica, you want to do a roll call for us? Yeah. So Tommy. Jean Christopher. Yeah, Lauren Seeley here. Carrie snow here to Capitol Hill, Donald.

Speaker 2 0:18
You’re Lisa, Jamar here Pedro Daniels here.

Speaker 1 0:27
All right, let’s go on to item number two approval of the minutes from our March 14. Meeting. Second, all right, so we have a motion to approve the minutes. Any discussion? Hearing none, let’s vote in favor say aye. Aye. Those step extensions,

Speaker 1 0:48
I have a motion passes. Number three, public invited to be heard. We have any members of the public that want to speak today.

Speaker 2 1:07
I’m always lucky to hear from everybody. But I don’t know maybe.

Unknown Speaker 1:18
I guess. So let’s go on to number four organizational updates.

Speaker 3 1:24
We actually don’t have any right now. To go over like staffing changes or anything, it’s really meant to do that. So

Speaker 1 1:35
number four development project updates. In Yeah,

Speaker 3 1:39
yep. So I’m gonna jump in here. So this is just a heads up of where we are, I would say overall, we had a huge push in February and March to get so many things done. On the legal side, and is not across all the projects, the legal side, getting resolutions ready to go and agreements ready to go and moving money around and applying for money. And there was just so many moving pieces that were in a tiny dip, it’s going to be tiny, because then the next thing is just going to come around. But I did want to just give some updates on where we are on the development projects, because there’s still tons of pieces for Zinnia. So that’s the 55 units of permanent supportive housing over on this week’s campus. We are preparing closing on the tax credit financing is scheduled for May 12. And so they have to close before the end of May or else the tax credits are lost. And so that’s a huge push. But this has been very much planned out. And we’ve made headway every month so that it’s not making closing as always a big rush at the end. But it’s really quite planned out. And so the last things that they’re dealing with are surprise, utility easements to vacate. So the city council will be voting on that tonight. And moving water lines and such because of the easement access for the church that’s on the backside right. So last minute scares really on the design side where they just have to hustle and figure it all out in order to still close by you may 30. So it’s moment they’ve got solutions, it’s just standard emergencies, in the end, they will have to just an FYI, they will the only option we had left for running the utilities is going to be underneath the gazebo that’s in the middle of the parking lot there that is very popular with residents. So we would rather have that than the other options which are more problematic in the long run. And so there will be an impact because the Beaudry constructions have been opened, it rebuilds it there anything that they do to it will come back

Unknown Speaker 3:59
a couple of weeks from we’re talking.

Speaker 3 4:02
And we still have other areas on property where we can have residents congregate,

Speaker 4 4:07
built in such a way that you can just lift it and move it or no huge concrete.

Speaker 3 4:18
The reason the utilities are really challenging that whole site, there is a city water man running directly through the parking lot, which is, you know, doable to work or to move around but it’s just a big deal. And then there are so many utilities because they’re right at the the entrance is right at the end of that cul de sac. So it’s just a narrow like pathway where all the utilities can go so and making sure you know you can’t make right angles with sewer. So there’s just been really challenging. And then for the recovery cafe that we are hoping to build as an attachment to the suites right there at the front of the cul de sac All the utilities are under that footprint, all of them. So we’re trying to figure that out. This is now I’m moving into the whole campus. Because everything else is looking feasible for that to be to go there, which would be great. It’s just making sure that the budget can handle all the utility relocations. And make sure the investor of the suites is okay. Like, they want us to complete the utilities totally separately, or tie them together. But meeting them separately there, it’s getting really technical on that, because they, they’re generally in support as long as you don’t impact operations at all. So that’s where that’s at. So assuming we can figure out a cost effective way to figure out the utilities for recovery cafe that that is looking feasible to do and they’re in concept design. Is there any questions on that property, we’re gonna dig back into this campus again later. But that’s kind of where we are. For the Overland, we are we have approval from both LNJ board and the LGC. Board to purchase for Lhh to purchase the land from flhdc. For the price that it was purchased back in, I think it was 2014. And basically just, it’s just paying the same price, and then paying off the loan that that was attached to it that LFCC had for purchasing the land. So we’re getting that done here ASAP. Because a we that’s an easy slam dunk for the LHD Z asset transfer, pendulum other assets over to La sherek. And we make that happen before we start applying for any federal funding, which is coming up right away, then we avoid between some of the action environmental review and that kind of thing, we’ll probably have to do it later. But we didn’t want to do that right away. We are looking for funding all over the place. It’s an expensive project, for sure. But just we’ve mainly because we’re being pretty conservative to make sure that we don’t get too surprised that costs escalations later. I mean, there’s no way to avoid that totally, but just trying to plan ahead and be conservative now. And then we’re still in concept design on that we meet right after this meeting with the design team to go over like our entire to do list for securing funding and the timelines. And our goal is to put in for tax credits in August of this year. And if that was successful, then we could construct it 2024 If it is not successful, which often happens, and we have time to put in again in the next year.

Unknown Speaker 7:53
And now I’m faced right.

Speaker 3 7:55
I’m actually we’ve gone back and forth trying to figure out really what is the most feasible in terms of how big is the gap, and right sizing the site for what we can really get through with a mean reasonable gap. And so right now, it’s actually not planned to be phased we looked at that last time, we’re gonna get an update on that today. But the last numbers we saw, there was approximately 75 units plus one community service, whether it’s the early childhood education or like satellite library, probably one of the two. And so we’ll see how that works.

Speaker 4 8:34
It’s you don’t get the August state tax credits. Would you go for nine is 75 to possibly

Speaker 3 8:41
that seems like it might be Yeah, yeah, it’s like right there. It’s right there. That’s something they were trying to plan for too. Yeah. So February 9% round is a possibility. We do another there’s another another privately developed Low Income Housing Tax Credit project is also going to submit in August down on 13 Atwood but they have now focused it to one or two bedrooms and we’re doing some ones and twos to try to get as many rent fours as we feasibly can. That makes it much more expensive. So but we’re hoping that that there’s a couple things that differentiate it so that they seem like they’re not totally directly competing with each other they will be there some overlap but so that’s the goal there. And again, funding searching for funding applying for everything possible to the like app for village place here, we’re actually if you see it on your agenda, we’ve changed the name to village on Main. Just trying to do for doing a refresh to the building and like to do total refresh to the to the image without I’m not changing everything, but just an update still has character, it ties it to downtown and makes it feel really connected to the community round. So we have submitted for tax credits just here on I think Friday is when we did. And so will that fall in. So we did a lot of conceptual design work and preliminary pricing to get to that point. And we’ll still be tweaking that to see what on our wish list we can afford to accomplish. And we’ll be doing that for the next couple months. Applying for gap funding as well, because there’s still funding that we need to get to be able to do what we really want. And then we have hired our relocation specialists. So at some point, we will bring them out to do a meeting with residents to get to know them. I’ve worked with them for seven years, they did all of our relocation work for the 2013 flood. And they are extremely knowledgeable, professional, they do this in their sleep, I’m really happy that they’re gonna help us with this, and be that liaison to the residents and coordinate anything that’s related to me to do those temporary moves. Any questions on any of these?

Speaker 5 11:29
I guess focus on that, like wish lists that were specifically looking at what we can and can’t afford.

Speaker 3 11:35
So the critical systems are always at the top. So boilers and making sure that we have all the heating, cooling water service, all that stuff ready for the next one years. The roof, anything we’re trying to whatever is needed to make sure the next 20 years we don’t have a large ticket item that we need to do without as much funding availability. So critical systems are at the top and parking lot drainage is at the top as well, because we do have an issue there. And then other things we would like to do is this, the interior hasn’t had a refresh since the 90s. And so we’re looking at flooring cabinets inside the units, making sure AC units are replaced. And baseboard heat as we need it just making sure that we’re just update for now and the next 20 years. Windows Windows. Yes. And then on the outside, we will be looking at paint deciding new paint and brookstein Potentially Yes. And landscape improvements and trying to make up including the back area, improving that for resident use, like we’re trying to put in a barbecue with some raised garden beds and make it a purposeful space back there for only one remodeling of it. Oh, wonderful Kitchen Kitchen to make it more relevant to my wood example. We’re going to open this up, get rid of the commercial equipment, put in a standard group kitchen, and then make it just more open. So it’s not some shut off in here. So that’s why we’re here. Those are our big thing

Unknown Speaker 13:24
was in the lobby to right.

Speaker 3 13:27
Yep. So we need to make accessibility improvements in the lobby and remove the at least the two ficus trees that are dripping SAP and also we need that space for the ramp anyway. But but still keep the atrium, keep the plants and then just rearrange that office and lobby space. So those are the

Speaker 2 13:52
enlarger second floor larger walking around in the background. You don’t have a public restroom on the side of work right.

Unknown Speaker 13:58
So much shorter. Yeah, that’s

Speaker 3 14:10
all of it. So which, you know, between planning out carefully and using contingency as we go if we don’t need it for an emergency situation. We got everything completed at Aspen meadows that we were that we really wanted to within budget. So I’m hopeful we just have to make sure we got the backup plans what has to go first and what can we add on later if we have to availability? Oh, well the fact that there there’s a ton of financing work and legal work happening with that too. We are moving money all over the place. LH DC is loaning funds in LA j is loving fungi in a different way. And rearranging the tax credit partnership in preparation for all of these things. There’s been a lot of just gears work In. So you get the financing, and all of the partnership structure stuff, right, you know

Speaker 1 15:14
I have six input items for input for the LSA Board of Commissioners.

Speaker 3 15:19
So I don’t have anything coming up for the next Board of Commissioners meeting or even, I mean, most of the items coming forward are related to getting ready for development. But we don’t have any policies in the works at the moment. But I did want to just give you a heads up on what’s coming up, that we have slated for next Tuesday for meeting as the purchase documents for the overlap between other channel hdc having everybody approve and sign off. And possibly we’re looking at updating our payment standards, because BCHA has updated their payment standards for voucher holder. So meaning they told us that their voucher holders were having a hard time competing in the private market to get units. And so they’ve updated those to basically offer more. And so both boulder housing VHB Well, their housing partners and us, we’re doing an accounting review to see if we can handle that because ideally, we would stay consistent so that our voucher holders and BCHA voucher or any other voucher holders, between the three of them have access to the same resources. But we have to make sure both of us I hold are still have to do an accounting review, because it’s kind of off cycle.

Speaker 6 16:38
So when that happens, cut down on the number of vouchers and make, yes. So that’s what I thought we’re gonna learn something and getting something that wasn’t

Speaker 7 16:51
right. And the other thing we have to look at is we don’t get as much money this season, which agencies, so to continue to compete with them to go up and up and up. When it’s not affecting us. We can probably issue promotions. So that’s what

Speaker 3 17:04
we’re trying to actually end by not affecting us. She means our voucher holders, we’re they’re leasing up pretty quick. We’re doing currently, I mean, there’s waves, but currently, we don’t have a ton out there looking at other people,

Speaker 6 17:16
that one, okay, so and everybody hangs out, because again, that’s not happening, then we go up into Belgium and cover the linkers. So that that was German.

Speaker 7 17:29
And the problem is, is that most of ours hadn’t gone through the new cycle. So we did up to 105%. But I’m not seeing very many of ours at that. So we still have that to contend with two we don’t know. And according to Tracy, a lot of the times the rent increases at certification. So it’s going to be a gradual increase.

Unknown Speaker 17:53
It’s ongoing. Yeah.

Speaker 3 17:56
So we may or may not after we complete that accounting review, we may or may not have the board here to decide what to do. So those are the two main things coming up. You don’t even have like any final Zinnia resolutions to the fruit because it’s all been cleaned out in advance. So that’s pretty exciting. So basically, that’s just a miniature update for what’s coming.

Speaker 1 18:21
Going on Item seven and resident quality of life as permanent supportive housing campus.

Speaker 3 18:27
So we wanted to bring this to this group. Before we really dive in with the owners of Zinnia. So la chain is partner but not the owner of Zinnia. We are going to be the property managers. But the vouchers are going to be managed by mental health partners, the supportive services, and the the coordinated entry process from exiting homelessness is going to be handled by boulder shelter. And so with all of these partners all coming together, and then at the suites, it’s not that exact arrangement, we provide the supportive services, which we have a new do it yet. So Valerie is our new service coordinator and providing support services at the suites persona and launch. And so that’s how we provide the support services right now. And then our vouchers are split between La che and MHP and adds the suites. And so with all of these different players, and we have to come up with a property management agreement between us and the owners of Zinnia to say who’s gonna be responsible for what? So we thought that’d be an opportunity as we think about what to include in that conversation. It’s not just Okay, we’ll do snow removal. There’s a lot of those technical things to coordinate but then, what else could we coordinate now that we have all of these players working in one I place a big lease up, process humming, making sure we can get people to Zinnia. And then really just coordinating what is the lifestyle of the campus going to be once we add in Zinnia, and then recovery

Unknown Speaker 20:15
Cafe hopefully.

Speaker 3 20:17
So as we’re preparing for the discussion on the management agreement, we just wanted to see if you all had any brainstormed ideas for things to consider, for making that quality of life, and real campus atmosphere at the site. You can always think about it and get back to us as well. But if anybody has any thoughts off the top of their head, we would be interested in hearing,

Unknown Speaker 20:39
are you facing using

Speaker 3 20:41
a group 14 To look at Trauma Informed Zinnia? So Zinnia is being built by shop works architecture, which is trauma informed design specialist, and then we’re doing a study with, do you, right? Yes. Do you not MSU is doing a different study, do you is coming into the suites and doing a study of trauma informed design for those that could use it, but moved into a place that wasn’t built with it? Because it was a hotel. So they’re going to give us some information on what we could do to kind of bridge the gap without coming in, fully rebuilt. So yes, that’s coming in, do you fit in.

Speaker 8 21:23
So this is something I just learned about from our property management team that I didn’t know happen, but when we would build a new project, cannibalize our staff, because when suddenly we have a new place that current residents wants to move in. And so great, we leased up this project, but now we have vacancy everywhere else. Is that something that we’re planning

Speaker 3 21:42
for? Not I mean, on this one, it would be the suites would be the only one at risk, because it’s psh. Truly. And so between across the two, we would just have to manage it all on site. So

Speaker 8 21:55
maybe that’s part of something. But also brainstorm is how to dress as up some one have like a separate,

Speaker 3 22:02
but also Zinnias, all coming through bolder shelters coordinated entry. So that’s a different pipeline. And this pipeline. Yeah. But something I’ve thought about is suite residents, some of which have been there a long time and are comfortable and happy, but maybe some aren’t. And they see the brand new building going up and wish they could so how could we improve life? Across the board? Can? Either that or what can we do at this week’s to make it feel like it’s equivalent?

Unknown Speaker 22:34
That’s what I’m

Unknown Speaker 22:36
hoping to get ideas on? Well, hopefully, the

Speaker 8 22:39
workshop will help too, because it won’t just impact those up. It’ll make the whole project work better. Because yeah, you’re coming from

Speaker 4 22:48
a hotel, right? Design? Residential is totally different.

Speaker 6 22:55
It needs to end to this. It was somebody something. Yeah, cultured and disabled, too. And so we’re in all this, or have you got I’m very familiar with the residential situation. And you’ve got residents that we can get feedback? Oh, yes. So and use that in terms of it, like you said that they’re going to be looking, they’re going to start from here. And and in this way, you can start being ready for it. And it seems like there’s really a bit of a different clientele that each and each operating. And it’s it’s accommodating that and dealing with that comparison, which tends to close the contract. That you’re right, let’s, let’s look at what’s happening here.

Speaker 2 23:59
I know MHP is really looking at this too. So there’s that they have people who are like, well, I want somewhere new now. You know, they’re getting that and they’re getting kind of already expressing that I wasn’t more new. They’re helping them work faster. They got the Okay, from doh to start releasing more archers for those EPA suites to transition from the PBB over to the head based voucher. Oh, wow.

Unknown Speaker 24:21
So okay, can

Speaker 3 24:22
you talk a little bit about what intro you’ve done to Zinnia to this week’s residents.

Speaker 2 24:28
So we’re copying conversations, we’re always letting them know the next steps, what’s going on letting them know that this is this is a separate project that we’re managing it. It’s not that they can’t go through it, but we’re flooding. We have one resident right now at this week’s moving to the watch next week. So he’s transitioning into that type of housing. And so we’re letting them know what’s coming, letting them know, you know, we can do stuff with them together. We’re increasing the events at the suite so that we have that resident participation and that there’s they’re hearing from us and we can kind of build that relationship and I think we’re having a bow there now that’s going to help as well that she can help.

Unknown Speaker 25:03
That’d be huge.

Speaker 2 25:05
So we’re going to equilibrium and sharing the plans with them. Having conversations tomorrow, we’re going to have some bigger print, so they can see what the building looks like and how it’s going to sit on the campus. We’re letting them know what impacts it’s gonna have to them. Besides things changed from you, we’re gonna have a drive around the building. And now that’s been so like, what she’s keeping them like this, it’s gonna happen this, you know, we’re still looking for construction in June is going to be during business hours and the weekend. So get ready. So I’m letting them know about the right now they access the church parking lot to get over to the shopping center, that’s going to be blocked off, and they’re excited that they’re not going to have the traffic flying through. So they’re seeing some positives with all of this as well.

Speaker 3 25:47
So that’ll be half a minute construction management for the 15 months, it’ll be under construction, right? And then also gearing them up for what life will be like after

Unknown Speaker 25:59
you set up a venting session.

Unknown Speaker 26:04
You might need to come July

Unknown Speaker 26:08
you’re doing exactly what I’m talking about.

Speaker 1 26:13
Communicating most of it to the residents is through

Speaker 2 26:16
the coffee and conversations are having the conversations Corinne said every single one and she’s unwinding stuff I’m sharing with her she’s been out there going on sidewalks with different groups with public works, looking at different things options so that she can answer questions in one of the suites or one on one conversations because of residence. So want to help we have a good, how about 3% of show up for coffee and conversations. But the rest are just. Yeah, so making sure her staff aware things were were already involved.

Speaker 1 26:51
So in terms of Zinnia, are we going to be responsible for any of the waitlists or filling the vacancies or we’re just more

Speaker 3 27:00
we’re more of the management side and making sure the suites and the Zinnia operate together? Physically on site. But we are not. We need to we want to partner and be helpful for the lease up process. But we have our property managers that will be there. And that’s a huge part of lease up. But officially we’ve got these pipelines. Curious. Yeah. So we

Unknown Speaker 27:24
saw the tax credit side, right half our whole

Speaker 8 27:27
units bring it in line or vouchers versus the likes of it.

Unknown Speaker 27:32
So all 55 units will be the PVS. With

Unknown Speaker 27:38
tax credit lands, you have to qualify

Unknown Speaker 27:40
them. Just like every every funding source, every complaint.

Speaker 3 27:52
Do you want to kind of replace the balances? Do you want to kind of describe what kind of support services we have right now. So

Speaker 2 28:00
Valerie’s main role is to provide resources for residents when they need it, help them find different avenues for things they need. It’s just a whole bunch of being there for them, helping them.

Unknown Speaker 28:16
When it comes to your service.

Speaker 2 28:19
Resources, the more of a Resource Navigator, the black person in the field, so they had a resident who was struggling to figure out how to pay rent, or get the dog the stuff they needed. So they helped find avenues to take care of that one wanted to go on a job interview, but hadn’t had a haircut. They wanted a haircut didn’t have the funds for it. So they helped fund the resources in that way to get that and be there kind of as even a little emotional cheerleader for them. You know, how’s it going? How are you going through this process? How are you? How’s your day going? And did we provide it not just for our clients, it’s also MHP clients who sometimes I can have may not have a good relationship with their caseworker or resources for MHP. So they will come to ours resource specialists. So

Speaker 3 29:04
it really can vary. I mean, it could be that helping somebody fill out the paperwork to get through internet through the federal program, or it’s somebody who is sleeping in a tent in their apartment and has no dishes and no, we’re trying to help them transition, which I think that we have seen we need a lot of that is a huge focus is getting people ready for permanent housing. Because some are they if you’ve been living on the streets for years, you just who knows? It could be anything. You could feel more comfortable in a tent you could be nervous about taking yourself to the laundry room. There’s there’s a whole gamut of level of services that folks need to be successful in their housing is really what it’s about. Helping transition through the stages.

Unknown Speaker 29:59
And you guys looked at doing like a

Speaker 8 30:02
almost like a pseudo Hoa, or the cost sharing for the campus wide that you guys would be. So

Speaker 3 30:10
it’s more about it’s so the management agreement will come up with like a split of the cost share split for certain things,

Unknown Speaker 30:17
that’s probably easier to create

Unknown Speaker 30:22
another layer

Speaker 8 30:24
after dealing with the smoke, and now we’re doing it with holding corner was 24 acres. That’s like 400 units. Yes. Many of them will be homeownership. So they’ll have. And I’m ready to move on.

Speaker 3 30:45
Yeah, thanks. I mean, that’s what that as we make this list of what do we need to consider in this management agreement? The level of who’s doing what? Well, we’ll gauge the cost share,

Speaker 8 30:57
I’ll send you an email with some of the things that I know you guys should look at, like security.

Speaker 3 31:01
Yep. We are responsible for security. So so far, we’re coordinating our camera systems to be in the same the llj network. And we thought building attendance fully staffed with the sweets now for 24 hours, well, 23 hours.

Unknown Speaker 31:15
What do you do most days? Yeah,

Speaker 3 31:17
but what is it like 4am to 6am was the quietness so yeah. But anyway. So we’ll have to make sure we can ramp that up to cover both sides, and still make sure that we’ve got the property manager managed for a PSH it’s really has to be somebody with special skills. So coordinating all of that together. So anything else that you can think of it either if it’s after or just shoot me an email, let me know what ideas you might have for ways that we could make it feel like a community rather than two separate competing places where

Unknown Speaker 31:57
you don’t mix so well, that you’d be able to use the amenities?

Speaker 3 32:01
I think we should. Yeah. I mean, there’s nothing that bars them from doing. So now, except for fobs, I guess. Well, they don’t even do for the front door, or the front door.

Speaker 5 32:13
Like events put on by the other partners, would that be accessible? Like never been able to solicit it pretty much never talked about this sort of help session for that?

Speaker 3 32:24
I mean, we could, it’s really ramped that up and have more opportunities, especially as we’re just getting them to get to know each other.

Speaker 1 32:34
And maybe even come up with a name for the campus itself, too. Well, that’s. Yeah, so the name for

Speaker 3 32:44
gonna change the name. So it’s cohesive? Yeah. So generally, sunset campus. So Zinnia at sunset, some other flower for the suites at sunset or something?

Unknown Speaker 32:59
Sunset campus. So that’s how all communication goes out here.

Speaker 3 33:04
That’s, like maybe I’ll change our like letterheads for the property to

Speaker 1 33:14
the My only concern is just you know, if we’re working with the other partners, if we’re not writing up, they have open vacancies. Can we switch the allowable units to the different partners? Yeah, more easily, that so many days or something like that to rent it out? Otherwise, it’s going to be open to me.

Speaker 3 33:33
Yeah. So we’ve MHP has already come to us saying that we have to plan ahead for this because just making sure that we have all that stuff ready to rock because they administer it. So they the vouchers that Zinnia our state vouchers or divisional housing, and so technically you’re supposed to use a statewide list MHP has worked with them to try and modify that so they have more successful their wait lists. And so we do need to at this so with them the owners of the element properties you have to do this management agreement and we also need to start working with nhp and PhotoShelter to plan for Lisa and have are what can we what kind of backup plans can we have within the rules of the batteries that are coming with it

Speaker 8 34:21
Coordinated Entry covers like the whole Denver metro right?

Unknown Speaker 34:24
No, that’s just for Boulder County

Speaker 8 34:27
could we look at maybe partnering when needed with other

Speaker 3 34:30
we could that so many people struggle is getting the only for the statewide list is either not very successful or for instance.

Speaker 2 34:43
So we did do our plan with the suites last year while with Kathy was still here, we redid it because at first it was just we had to use the DOH waitlist. So we were able to get into the local agriculture case conferencing so we can pull to some local case conferencing one from doh so that we could get more of a Have more local pool and then a faster movement instead of waiting, yeah, half a year or so in this

Speaker 3 35:08
case to that one. There’s a balancing act, we have a lot that really feel like we should prioritize it for people in Longmont connections. But also if they’re not there, yeah. You have to have a backup. And it might be somebody coming from Denver. So

Speaker 1 35:24
yeah, so you mentioned one of the state vouchers was issued, but it was just timing.

Speaker 2 35:31
A lot of them, the participants are not doped ready, were super local case practicing, they are not ready, which means they have their birth certificate and driver’s license and social security card in hand, which is all stuff that we have to see to be able to start processing a lot coming off doh are still missing documents. And so we have to wait 3060 days for them to get those units vacant.

Unknown Speaker 35:52
The rest.

Speaker 2 35:55
That’s part of the struggle with doh we list is that these people are not technically ready, or they’re not prepared yet to go into housing,

Speaker 3 36:05
or they don’t want to come to my mind. So you’re coming down and down and down the list until somebody was ready to come up here.

Speaker 6 36:12
Do you have any lead time? You know, we’re looking at building the structure? Is there a lead time where you can start getting before?

Speaker 2 36:20
Yes, we are planning ahead opens just my staff alone. We’ve already started talking about you know, we want to start at least 90 days prior to that having that CFO in our hand. Yeah, you know, start with qualifying people so that we can just get them all in or have a plan in place. Not overburden ourselves with five movements a day, but two or three a day that we can get everybody in at a time.

Speaker 8 36:42
We weren’t able to like have people signings, well, that’s Emily’s

Speaker 2 36:47
saying that morning. I revealed everything else. Yeah. And then that morning, they come and do their lease signing, get their keys, okay, do the walkthrough. And then yes, and the good thing is Karan, and I have done these steps of 300 units at a time. And then we did in 90 days. So her and I are nobody can handle 55 units, so that it doesn’t scare it. So we’re used to larger concepts, though.

Speaker 1 37:17
Alright, let’s go on to number eight, delete a record update operations.

Unknown Speaker 37:23
Go ahead. Sure.

Speaker 2 37:27
So I provided the quarterly unit vacancy list so you guys can see kind of where we’re sitting at things. And like after Meadows neighborhood, we’ve exhausted our waitlist, it’s currently opening up tomorrow went down units. We also tomorrow have a state audit over there. They’re doing a walkthrough of all the units again, asking that of senior weeds called 15 people on the waitlist, and I’ve only been able to rent one. So we’re changing the process a little bit again. So if somebody walks into our office calls the office and we’re going to track right to have these add those who want to move right now from call saying I need to move, you know, the next two weeks or 30 days to sort of pick two people from there, while we’re still calling the waitlist. Because these people on the waitlist, they’re signing up, but they don’t want to move for a year. They don’t want to move for six months. They got to give a 90 day notice or they’re in a lease to you know, in the summer and we’re like, okay, we’re we’re gonna skip You go ahead. We’ll call you when we get another weekend to get on the list. But yeah, so we’re working as we’re calling science, again, very detailed notes of where we’re at with those. The prior would had to move us to officials on the same day. So that’s why they’re showing him I think, any updates on the sell of that. Are we waiting for prior?

Speaker 3 38:47
No, not yet. Okay. Basically, we’re, we’re considering selling to the veterans community project. And because they have people that are transitioning out of homelessness, that they could use firewood as that landing point. And then we already have some people that are already DBCP clients that are living there. And generally the the value of the land, even though it’s a nonprofit, so we’d be negotiating, but that could help us build more units than the feel of it that we have.

Speaker 1 39:18
We don’t have an agreement with that. So sort of toxic March.

Speaker 3 39:27
Yes. Mixing it up with the CWD. Yep. So we’re waiting to hear back from BCP about their their price points.

Speaker 2 39:43
I think that’s right now, for for jump back to CWD. I know Sarah and I are meeting with them to start our our agreements for supportive services after what’s the cell that’s kind of part of the cells that they’re going to provide services for. LBJ in the city ongoing for to help them reduce knives yes and reduce right so Sara and I are meeting with them, I believe that we are on the 21st to start those talks and what we want to see from them in the new Fall River, you still have just a one unit down for math and then Gregory the new manager is going to be moving on site hopefully based right around May 1. Hearthstone and lodge we have exhausted, exhausted both of their waitlist. So those are also opening tomorrow. And those are for the 3% PDB. So 60 plus the suites she’s to be getting quite a few rentals. So our time to frame returns have gone down. And he has actually been pretty proactive for getting applicants but some of them are just ready to commit. So at least we’re having those meetings instead of just waiting for months and months and months. They are getting the applicants into us, but then we’re just waiting for them to be ready. So so she does have a pipeline as MHP people who are sitting on the backburner right now they’re just not ready yet to transition, I think they want to get through the spring, where they’re at, which is unique for MHP. Spring Creek, they’re weightless. We’ve called fortified people for the basic units, we’ve been able to work with senior center actually to sell the one that one actually it’s not even on here yet. But Senior Center, we’re working closely with them for these properties that have open waitlist, so they know what the number is you need to that we can help filter that through. So Spring Creek does have one of these now rented for an emergency and then village place, we have just been to Vegas that we will be holding for recent vacation. Please the unreleased place women standing as you go into the interiors of all the units are just the ones that

Speaker 3 42:04
we are we’re still figuring out if we can afford to do all of the units or just the ones that have not yet been recently painted.

Unknown Speaker 42:13
So then as people move out, would they be painted? Oh, yes,

Speaker 3 42:16
yeah, they get turned painted? Yeah.

Speaker 2 42:24
The occupancy report was sitting at 93%. holding strong. Now that we’re out of the snow and everything, and we’re keeping our waitlist open instead of closing them previously would open a waitlist for 30 days, 60 days, but we decided to keep all waitlist open so that we have current main. So as we’re calling 45 people, those weights, I keep on being moved. We got 45 People coming up. So yes, so I think that will help us in the long run to increase these numbers come the next few months. Few million units still down on the current status. This was just as when I did the reports. Eskimos Never had we had one down unit and that one is the one that’s out of our insurance. We already did our insurance. So we are already happy one last Monday had a planning powwow meeting with city staff, risk management, HR, everybody trying to figure out a good way to move forward on this

Speaker 3 43:27
covered either, we’re going to talk to habitat because they do do like community build days for non habitat properties. So we’re going to ask them as a first route. And then I mean, we do city bill, city employee build days for every community project and habitat so we could do that. But there’s a lot of moving pieces with that and coordinating it. So but we are trying to figure out ways to get these units. I mean, of course we wouldn’t bring they’re all clean. They get remediated first. And it’s just the rebuild pieces that we would we’re looking for ways to have community basically volunteer opportunities. It’s a community benefit to have this year open. So that’s what we’re trying to do.

Speaker 2 44:10
Since the last meeting, our Aspen senior met meth unit has been cleaned, renovated and moved into sovereign we still have one meth unit dowel and that one is slated to be ready. end of May. Not yet in the May partial launch nothing there. We did have the bedbug issue a couple of months ago, residents still are in fear of bedbugs. So we still have pest control going out weekly doing inspections for those inspections are coming back negative.

Unknown Speaker 44:41
This week’s we have three down units one is a flood and two are met.

Speaker 2 44:50
And then Spring Creek down units, everything we have to Michael apps pending village place are helping those units. So moving along motion, it’s ready. At least our turnaround times are going down. I know when I started, we’ve had it sitting vacant for three 400 days. So now we’re doing most of these down to most of the years. Some of them were bad, but just no follow through on the insurance claims. And so we got to that. We’ve been with insurance the adjusters, getting all that work through. And then for the property updates, having conversations for the rest of the year, so if those who need or want copies of all the dates I have pronounced with all talking conversation dates, we’ve added a Cinco de de mio event for all the properties and I have those dates in here, printouts for anybody who wants those as well. You’re more than welcome to join us volunteer to help us on these to go to bio events, staff is going to be cooking. We’re working on scraping clutter events at all the properties Matheson’s notices went out, working through the final stages of scheduling dumpsters for all the sites. So if residents have larger items that they want to get rid of, at the same time, we’re cleaning out our storage areas we will we’re working with our HR department who has a new volunteer coordinator that if residents have items they want to get rid of, and have no way of disposing or getting into the dumpster if they can get it to the door. Volunteers and our staff will get it from the door to the dumpster. So I think this is going to be big. We have quite a few people who

Unknown Speaker 46:24
are saying, I haven’t seen any notice on that. No, we just started

Speaker 2 46:28
scheduling the dumpsters yesterday. Okay, so it just didn’t work out.

Unknown Speaker 46:34
What can be decluttered? Yes.

Speaker 2 46:36
Okay, so correct. Got all the pricing yesterday and started scribbling the dates yesterday. So this is all scheduled. We have to wait for the college move out. So the first week of May are no dumpsters available. The first thing. We’re gonna do one property a week so that it doesn’t over brand five stacks as well. Because we know the sweets ask the neighborhood we have a lot of appliances as well we want to get rid of and things like that. So do it all week by week by week.

Unknown Speaker 47:06
It’s going to be a donation option.

Speaker 2 47:08
Yes. So we’re working with senior center, they have a few agencies that will come through a walkthrough. And then we can just listen and then swallow and I actually talked last week about setting up one of the storages at the suites for when residents move out or they’re the next of kin want to donate their stuff. We can go and test it, store it for three days pest control it and then we have a resident who moves in out of homelessness or other circumstances who have nothing, we’d have shot.

Unknown Speaker 47:40
Yeah, yeah.

Speaker 5 47:43
Yeah, that’s fantastic. I was also just thinking in terms of decluttering I’m not saying doing this now. But it’s just sometime in the future I’m gonna I need to get on this. But it might be like a good kind of a better community thing to do to do like not a garage sale, but like a yard sale for like everybody, like a big you know, just like everybody in the development gets together. And, you know, we kind of notify people, you know, what the public know. And that could be a fun thing to do. And another way to get really

Speaker 2 48:15
good big things. We’re working on just some property. updates. Thanks the suites we’ve already updated Beth and Valerie’s hiring or Aspen senior, we’re still working through the flooring issues. Metropolitan State University held a kickoff at coffee and conversations. So I wanted to nutritional education and activities partnership. See as the neighborhood still the one meth unit down there and have the chocolate inspection tomorrow. And on CWD, and BCP, the village place MSU, Metropolitan State University held a kickoff for coffee and conversations, the partnership, the engagement was the residences seem to be as engaged as Aspen and all that. And so we’re going to we’ve talked to NSU, about possibly moving that from village place over to Hearthstone Lodge, so that we can get more participation or really lend. Give them the data and stuff that they want. So do you want to go about that history of why we’re doing this a little bit.

Speaker 3 49:19
So when Christmas two was getting planned out, so that’s the 83 units being constructed right there behind the Murphy’s gas station at 66. In Maine MSU Denver contacted the developer NGL and said would you mind if we do use if they wanted to use like a new build as an opportunity for their graduate students to do public health research for folks that are in the low income, income levels and basically moving in to a new place? So that property, that’s what they wanted to do. Got a Christmas one, and then add on the new people at Christmas to to compare. So they went and started their work at Christmas one, these are college grad students. And we do not manage Chrisman one, we will someday the property managers did not really help. They didn’t help make it. They didn’t encourage it. Or they were kind of rude to the kids. So, I mean, they showed up and they were in Halloween costumes had a candy to hand out to the kids, and they just had no interest. In six months, yeah. So they that that was just a disappointing experience for them. And then we felt bad. They’re just college kids trying to do research. And so we said, You know what, we have really engaged community managers, you’ve got properties, we know that, that people will be wanting to just participate. So let’s try it at Rs instant. So we’re giving them basically an opportunity to complete their research with more commitment from the property management side to help encourage participation as much as possible and be welcoming for the kids. And so the kids, they might be age they are but they felt like kids that were getting

Speaker 6 51:18
that really good help ask those tests, with your involvement and a little bigger explanation. Because these are grad students, they have spoken in front of a lot of people, you know, and we kind of felt that, that, that, that getting management involved in and in that coordinating, cooperating that was the message. And what concerns a lot of us is that especially low income, the worst foods is the cheapest. And that’s where it goes. Because you can get more of it. And it’s it’s learning that you can, you can keep you know, let us alive in a certain way for 1015 days. And you can be enamored handy, you know, learning those kinds of things is going to be important because that, you know, our economy makes the bad food that is the most successful. And but you’re right getting management involved is critical. It’s critical. So you did a great job.

Speaker 2 52:34
And Aspen had a they were really they were really surprised that the responsive surveys that they got back at Aspen senior, they were just like, wow, and then residence, Grant had extras and anybody who couldn’t attend, she got to the doors. And she was getting surveys into the whole week. Almost everybody in the building participated. Yeah, so I really appreciate that. Yeah, it was an update as days they’ve been wanting and yearning for

Speaker 1 52:56
Yeah, this is a time study, they’re going to do a national survey.

Speaker 2 53:00
Yes. And they did the initial surveys. Were hoping to get MSU after watching Hearthstone, this next week to start their initial surveys there. And then based on those surveys, they plan, they’re taking the summer off, but then they’ll come back in the fall with all their farmstand produce, they bring with them even they work with all farms, great products and incorporate that into cooking classes, nutrition labels, and really teach dedicated things to the group.

Unknown Speaker 53:27
Yes, so.

Speaker 2 53:29
So we’re excited about that partnership. Spring Creek Fall River, Gregory, the new manager has hit the floor running over there. Hit a couple of robots at first, but now it’s going pretty smoothly there. I’ve attended quite a few meetings over there with the residents groups, the last few weeks, we’re getting higher attendance, we’re going to be taking over food distributions. We’re working with other share, we’ve attended a couple of their food and they’re like, well, they’re not really our volunteers, but we want them so we’re actually going to do a tour of elders share my staff going to go see what they want, how to figure out how to get more residents to participate in or share, even if they’re not able to come to the distributions and really form a partnership with them. And so we’re going to pilots procreate and Fall River first and really start working on that they gave us a whole bunch of ideas of how if we have residents who need food outside of elder share how we can get that they want. So my staff is all going to take their little volunteer course register online and be able to go shopping if we know the resident who’s in need. Who’d like somebody moves in they don’t worry if you’re having a really bad month, they don’t have food assurance, giving us those resources where we can go into their warehouses and go shopping for those unique situations and all that as well. And then if somebody’s homebound and can’t make it to a distribution, how we can support those residents in the meantime as well. So looking at So far happy with an elder share. It might take a manager an hour to be able to accommodate three or four residents in a month. So yeah, so we figured that very little poll on us and we can make a big impact. So person watching a lot going on and then all our positions have been filled except for we have one open housing choice voucher specialist and we conducted interviews last week. Tracy’s been on vacation. So hopefully, we have a decision and more information later today or tomorrow on how those all came out. Building it tenants hitting the floor running at suites. It is unbelievable the impact having three building attendants there. They’re doing light maintenance and janitorial work and everything Corinne walked in last Monday, she called me just like this, I have never seen this building so clean. In two years. She’s like, it is amazing how it looks at. So it’s having somebody there dedicated to it. And

Speaker 6 55:58
is is there a change in Resident response because now you’ve got so much coverage. Sometimes there’s a reaction that says, Oh, they’re paying attention to us. And

Speaker 2 56:15
some residents are like, wow, it’s nice to know somebody’s here is put down my maintenance calls after hours because that was our number one lockout site. Because it’s the doors we have the ultimate tellers, they automatically as long as somebody walks out. So over an eight month study that I counted every after hours call 9% of our calls were lockouts and 60% of those calls were all the suites. So now maintenance, except for that short little gap doesn’t have to go out to do lockouts, the building attendants handles a lockout so they handle minor toilet clogs, stuff like that little things, they try to troubleshoot the work or the after hours emergency before even calling are after hours of maintenance. So and it’s helping my dad out because the overnight building attendants go into the turns and start cleaning trash backing up the trash. Anything they can do kind of quietly after hours painting wall so it’s helping my Dell work through his turns faster because it is a high turnover right property with a type of housing we have. So it’s kind of helping everybody else right culture current went in Saturday morning, she forgot to do Friday. So she went Saturday morning, I printed out this for all the for both the weekend building attendance. And then she comes in on Monday, they’re all checked off of what they were able to accomplish work orders attached. So it’s kind of nice for her to because she knows the buildings being taken care of. And it’s allowed us to change our janitorial schedule so that we have more of Alicia now on the other sites into Thursday morning, my staff and I are sitting down and kind of coming through making her a priority list at each site, when she’s on site, that’s gonna give her a chance to be at each property one full day, every other week. So instead of just four hours, she’ll get a full day of cleaning in so she can do some of the deeper cleans and stuff like that. Okay,

Speaker 6 58:05
no, that’s something that she just talked about something that evidence that this has been done at XYZ for that Versa, those kinds of that kind of documentation and the notification quickly, that that this is this, you know, there’s something about that and I could see is using it in you know, so many entities involved, and then managing that that just kind of clipped. That’s a neat way to do it. You know, pick it up from where you know where it stopped and maybe pick it up and go on. Yeah, I don’t know exactly how you do that.

Speaker 3 58:55
I think it depends on how we ended up staffing and Lucia what do we get

Speaker 6 59:00
after the surrogate? Who does what then it’s how to do it yeah, that’s cool.

Speaker 2 59:08
I think really changing that from having that on site security company changed into the building attendance where we have the control is made a huge difference. Yes. And the revenue see it they

Unknown Speaker 59:19
they’re like it’s so cleaning here now and

Unknown Speaker 59:22
it feels good. Yeah.

Speaker 3 59:28
Anything public health significance. I know Sarah is not here. But I would just say for say we’re using Sarah Arnie for a bunch of things. She’s helping us with one on one resident meetings just for she just had a huge peer support backgrounds, and that’s been helpful. And then she’s working on our system wide new cameras and our meth detectors So hopefully, we have something worth being shipped from New Zealand right now to test them out. And she’s just jumping in on a bunch of things.

Speaker 2 1:00:08
I can, back we’ve had a lot of the property still remaining loads of calls for service. So maybe one call every other day. And it’s nothing like really involving residents or properties. It’s just like a nuisance, or, you know, God boys calls like that. So she’s attending all the coffee and conversations with me. So really pushing the public safety, you know, if you feel not sure to call the police call the police, you know, if it’s going on in the parking lot publicly, she’s really advocating, you know, use your resources. And you know, don’t don’t wait for management to come in the next day.

Speaker 3 1:00:44
And then she’s actually we’re kicking off a pretty formal peer to peer support program for staff. Because being a property manager, I mean, you see a lot, you see some really stressful situations, you see people’s life struggles, you hear everyone’s stories every day. It’s just a lot of intake. And so, and sometimes it’s traumatic, what you what you end up being involved with. So we’re having Sarah help our our community managers as well just make sure we have resources for the stress. And yeah, it’s everything that you see. So

Speaker 5 1:01:21
I wanted to thank Sarah too, she passed along some of the information we talked about at the last meeting we had on the meth detectors, a couple test reports. To probably be better if you just wait till you know she’s here, chat with her next time. I thought that was super helpful. I just wanted to know if she did pass along any info. Maybe you Tom or do you, Molly, about the other places in Colorado in the United States where I might be able to get some info about how the detectors have been implemented and any data that they’ve got. That’s the only thing I was missing. I think that she did send us everything they had from the New Zealand Company.

Speaker 3 1:02:00
Yeah. So we there’s no one in the US yet. We’re trying to be the first

Speaker 5 1:02:04
that’s what I thought. But then at the last meeting, Sarah said that there was like that it was happening in Colorado and other

Speaker 3 1:02:11
they’re talking to a couple places, but nobody has them installed and functioning. Okay, but we are trying to schedule time to talk with a New Zealand Housing Authority, the equivalent of housing authority there to see how they’ve been implemented. So we’re, that’s gonna set up where we’re at right now is what they it’s, it’s so technical, they’re sending over a SIM card to make sure the SIM card works with our network. And if that works, then we get the whole device and then charge startup pilot. So the networking thing has been a huge challenge because you basically have to pay for like, if the equivalent of a cell phone line three per device, you can buy three devices for Eisen and pay like $17 a month for every single device or you can try and use next slide and we have LTE in the city, we’re trying to do our own thing, see if that would work. And then you’re working with an international company we need to make sure all of their pieces of making sure the components are meeting the like Chinese the regulations protecting against Chinese components and all of those things. That’s a lot so so what there’s

Speaker 2 1:03:26
probably a rant on the cameras but I think we’re moving forward again on the cameras she’s been out with a company walking all the sites we’ve designated some locations for all the cameras getting all the cameras on one lhg network. She’s been working on the roof, spray Creek and Fall River have very poor cell reception inside units like some of the home units don’t even have get a cell like you can’t even use your cell in the office. So she’s working with the city and other agencies and departments to get repeaters throughout the building that will work with all cell services so that the residents have that connectivity because it’s it’s lacking in that whole HOA area. Yes. I don’t even have self service at home and I’m about a mile away I have

Speaker 1 1:04:15
so we are very excited the buildings are right next to that buildings. Yes, yes.

Speaker 3 1:04:21
Yes and our connections do we have free Wi Fi it’s like up the hallway? No,

Unknown Speaker 1:04:30
no, you basically have to be in your unit

Unknown Speaker 1:04:32
in order to have your white shirt.

Speaker 2 1:04:34
Yeah. So we are working with next like hopefully in the next year to get up in the pub I met or whatever the public internet through with with the repeaters throughout the building so that at least we have internet in the common spaces and stuff like that. So

Speaker 1 1:04:54
anything from Harold at home are covered everything.

Unknown Speaker 1:04:59
Erica says it’s been an Okay, so we’re not sure we could skip that business anyway, guys.

Speaker 6 1:05:11
I was just gonna follow up on the concerns about the doors. So is there been any, any

Speaker 2 1:05:19
nothing yet we’ve requested bits from Trident, which is our prior company to see you know what the magnets would be. They had wanted to have its own schedule. And yet Dave and I have a powwow meeting Thursday afternoon to kind of go through some of these open items. So you know, what, what do we have to do to get these companies? I know a lot of them tried it. We’re waiting for a fire extinguisher replacement, and they can’t even get off till the end of the month.

Unknown Speaker 1:05:43
Yeah, Harold had mentioned

Unknown Speaker 1:05:45
Yes, calling. Hello? Yeah. He’s headed north. Yes.

Speaker 8 1:06:00
I’m just gonna say that there’s, there’s a nonprofit that operates in Boulder County called the Boulder County Housing Corporation. And they’re sort of like a partner agency with bpha in the county. And we’re partnering with him as an administrative limited partner for our tax credit deal. We’ll be more. But we need to appoint a representative from BCHA. on their board, we have 182. So I just wanted to put it out there if you know, if you or someone you know, is interested in serving on the board, oh, we need students here. It’s really easy. We just have to have our presentation per the requirements of our investor.

Speaker 3 1:06:41
Does you say it has to be a BCHA? Representative? You are to represent BCHA points. Because there’s like, outside,

Unknown Speaker 1:06:50
yeah, can’t be bcj employees, there could be

Speaker 8 1:06:53
anybody else, you’re just there to represent BCGs interests, can we just have to have that partnership because it affects the tax credit partnership and how they elect their tax benefits. So we had to make sure that it all works for 15 years. So we just need another appoint deed, and it can’t be me. So if you know somebody who wants to join a board, that doesn’t do a lot and isn’t a huge time commitment. That’s probably a good one. And it does good stuff. It funds a lot of programs, especially, they actually found a lot of programs that cost up here in Longmont. So it’s a it’s a great organization to be part of and that’s housing. So

Unknown Speaker 1:07:36
is it equivalent to our LH DC?

Unknown Speaker 1:07:39

Speaker 8 1:07:40
They don’t do that. They’re just like free shipping. Yeah, they just funneled money. At one point, somebody wanted to donate a house to BCHA. But we couldn’t take that. So we they did it. And then they ended up giving it temporary to a member of the community who did so they do great stuff. Just restructuring their corporations. If you know anybody who wants to join or anything, just contact me. And

Speaker 3 1:08:05
is it like an application process? Or it’s just just content?

Speaker 8 1:08:09
We get literally we have made them as long as you’re like, Yes, I’ll do it.

Speaker 8 1:08:17
And then I just want to I know we talked about Proposition 123. Last meeting. And I know Harold was probably have an update as well. But they’re changing a lot of the requirements like the 90 day fast track process, but not out a year. So

Unknown Speaker 1:08:32
we thought so hopefully that will be

Speaker 8 1:08:36
a great source. I’ve watched a lot of their webinars that they’ve had recently. So I’m excited about what

Speaker 3 1:08:44
do you think we’re looking at, we’re doing a deep dive on the baseline and what it would take if longer, the city participated. So we’re hopeful. But we still have to do the deep dive before we can figure out the plan

Speaker 8 1:08:59
reach out to regional health in partnership, because we’ve been talking about that because there’s other organisms, other municipalities that are like, Yeah, we want to do it, too, but we don’t have the staff capacity to even come up with a baseline. So if you need help with that, I think that could be something that the partnership takes on it necessary or is helpless to take some of that off of staff. Within the course I didn’t know this until I watched one of the webinars but the 3% A year is actually more like 9% of the three years. It doesn’t have to be three years.

Speaker 3 1:09:31
And they they count it differently than we do. That’s where we have to see what we look like

Unknown Speaker 1:09:39
on average and a few years

Unknown Speaker 1:09:41
over, over over nine years no 9% over three years.

Speaker 3 1:09:51
So I want to go over on the other business before we jump back up to Harold’s report. I just wanted to mention two things. We do have the vacancies Oh Ben 415 And are these terms expire in June. So the application process is open until April 21. And so the interview process will be coming after that, you all are still eligible to apply for your positions. So that’s just a heads up what’s coming. And then my last update I wanted to mention is that tonight at city council tonight, I’m running through an amendment to our CDBG action plan, because we have COVID, related CB, CB, CB, G CB special funds, that are pretty challenging to use. And we’ve had to rearrange, rearrange, rearrange to make sure we meet the expenditure deadlines that are coming up, you’re very quick. And so we decided, and it’s going to be decided on by council tonight about funding accessibility improvements in LH a properties because as part of our property conditions assessments that we did, as part of the voluntary compliance agreement with HUD, we have a list of things that can be done at each property. And it’s kind of varies, but adding sensory units for hearing and vision visual impairment. And then general either like ramps or restriping, parking to make sure we have the right size stalls for for ADA parking. So we’ll be putting through an agreement with FHA, the city to La chain to do about $100,000 of improvements for accessibility across all the properties has disabled folks are disproportionately affected by COVID. So that was a really good use, and we could get it done quick. So that will be happening. And we have to complete the improvements by June. So it’s like, very, very quick. So we’re getting quotes right now getting all the agreements in order. And so that will be coming. We’re not doing it here, because this property will be covered with the big project. But it all makes sense. That’s my last update. Do your interviews and went long and

Unknown Speaker 1:12:15
figure out which key?

Unknown Speaker 1:12:22
There is.

Speaker 9 1:12:27
So repeating what you’ve gone over is, are there any questions that you all have for me, that I can address?

Speaker 1 1:12:41
I mean, do you have anything else to add? Let me with the metal detectors, they probably said,

Speaker 9 1:12:46
come in, and we’re gonna be testing out the SIM cards. And that is that basically we’re Yeah, that’s why Sarah update. And I think we’re just trying to figure out where it is in transit right now. But they are aware, we obviously won’t pay for anything until we receive it. But it’s it’s pretty critical, just based on what we’re seeing insurance requirements and what the deductibles are set out. So we’ve got to figure something out, we can’t financially continue.

Speaker 1 1:13:21
So any movement in talking with the insurance company to about test three, like testing format, before moving, we brought that up at all.

Speaker 3 1:13:32
So we so we kind of have a workaround idea that where we gradually phase into that conversation with them and have some data to show them like this is not going to be a huge spike. And then obviously, they understand that it should tail off. But they’re worried about the spike. And so we had said, Let’s start at one property, do it do testing at turns unit turns. So we test if we have to do anything, you take care of it and then lease it and we say you are moving into a clean unit. If we ever test again, it’s basically. And so we’ve talked about doing that maybe at one property just to start getting some data and really tell them what that spike actually would look like. And then kind of phasing it in assuming everything doesn’t go haywire.

Speaker 9 1:14:27
Yeah, I’ve always given me some proposals. I think even in those proposals, we’re gonna have to read the insurance documents and understand do certain actions invalidate the insurance policy so that some of the work that we have to do we actually theoretically talked about as we’re looking at recent negation here. That may be a way to step into it simply because we know we have to hold eight units to come in as we’re starting the work and we may be able to try to create at least some create some data that can help inform what the percentage actually is. Because the challenge right now, and we looked at the percentages on this, and we said, well, how many unit turns out we had, Lisa gave us a number and then said, Well, we got what 866

Speaker 3 1:15:21
out of 25, six

Speaker 9 1:15:25
out of 25. So that percentage is kind of high. But, you know, we have a pretty stable population, which doesn’t necessarily let you translate those into it. Because most of these come out with some eviction process that we’re going through which you obviously have issues. So we’re trying to figure out how to create a baseline data set, and we so we can go to them and say, here’s what it probably looks like in reality, versus what you’re seeing typically is born out of evictions. And I think there will be different characteristics per property too. And so we’ve got to work through all of those issues, we’re trying to pull it together,

Speaker 3 1:16:10
trying to just tell the story. So we have six down units out of 462, that are related to meth. And that is not a huge percentage. And those are basically borne out of us knowing that this, there’s an eviction, there’s cause or something. And most of our unit turns are not meth related. But it’s just being able to tell that story to insurance and building that over time and testing it instead of full bore.

Unknown Speaker 1:16:42
So we don’t really know how big of a problem this is.

Speaker 3 1:16:46
Without testing every unit, we do not know, we test more than most property managers, I would say that when we’re looking at the numbers doing the detectors for 462 units, I mean, that’s a pretty penny, upfront and ongoing. When but if we can do that, and it works, then it is worth it. On the cost side, one unit down is many of those detectors, the cost of it. And then also, if that could be a model for the region ever, but the older county Boulder, they want to know what what ends up happening. We said, for private landlords having a $600 one time plus like, maybe $30 a month for ongoing maybe that is worth it for a smaller portfolio. Because that’s where maybe your only resources as a private landlord to even do anything about this. So. So yes, the impacts

Speaker 5 1:17:44
could be Yeah, and I, I looked at the data pretty closely. And if it’s correct, I was just two examples. They’re super sensitive. I mean, the amount of meth basically, that one person would smoke in one day, is 175 times more than what I would detect. So that might have been an issue with insurance too. I’m not saying like we don’t want to know. But we definitely have a problem where, you know, they’re testing for an end product that could possibly be brought into the unit. And then the insurance people that really want that data, we’re entitled to that data. And we’ve gotten super sensitive detectors and LiDAR, maybe not even detecting that manufacturing, per se, but I think that’s a concern is from an insurance standpoint, as well, from

Speaker 3 1:18:28
a tenant rights standpoint to Yes, somebody just walked by you the problem

Unknown Speaker 1:18:32
with that is a lot of issues.

Speaker 9 1:18:38
The sensitivity issue is you can adjust, you can set the levels and the thresholds on it. The challenge is the contamination in units is not just from the manufacturing. Some of the highest levels we’ve seen are actually related to just smoking. And so, you know, financially speaking from an operational perspective, you have a significant contamination. That’s about 100 grand to deal with, which wipes out the insurance policy. So I don’t know if they’ve talked to you about this. But in terms of where the organization sits financially, we’re having to figure out how do you breathability the unit without insurance dollars coming

Speaker 5 1:19:31
in? I don’t doubt that. I just feel like there’s a lot of issues that come up with that from many different standpoints. It’s a good conversation to keep having maybe when we get the detectors, because I know there’s been some issue with that who may in transit and more concrete issues, okay. Just

Speaker 1 1:19:52
let it be a balance between tenants rights, their knowledge of what’s going on versus what we’re Just to give us

Speaker 3 1:20:03
a chance. Based on what we see, if we talk about six units at any given time on 462, the chances of an on not all those are rebuild. Some of those are cleans are minor level contamination. So I would say that the chances of having a spike of rebuilds is quite low, we might have some claims, which are low level price points compared to a rebuild. And then the idea is that you prevent more time.

Speaker 9 1:20:32
And what you want to do is catch it early. So your mediation Carlson floor verse versus letting it accumulate. You know, Molly and I talked about this a little bit. The other component of this is, I think, I think communities and individuals generally are getting more educated on this. And you know, I’ve talked to some friends that are realtors, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the very near future near future that when people are looking at renting places they do down. And I just think that’s where the world’s ability and then you have to deal with it. And so there may not be an escape moment in this. And so I think the more we can limit the severity of the issue. Better we’re going to be financially because the other thing that we’re seeing creeping up is when these units and we’re dealing with an issue now, where are the unit popped in October the one where tax law comes into play. And so if you didn’t November, but the way it hit timewise creates a problem, the tax law, in terms of the tax credit they give because the units have to be habitable. And so then, then you start having an issue with the tax credit side. So these things start snowballing on you pretty quick.

Speaker 3 1:22:21
Just if your unit is not habitable by December 31 of every year, that you can’t claim the tax credit in the next year for that year. And so that becomes an issue for us. If we aren’t in a we’re in a rock and a hard place if the unit tests positive in any time at the end of the year. But if we don’t get it cleaned, remediated, rebuilt, whatever, by December 31, then our investors are on our back saying, What are you doing? So, so pressure is coming from all directions now. And if you just find keep finding more ways for the pressure to to

Unknown Speaker 1:22:59
cause it’s still down.

Speaker 8 1:23:03
Because once you report it to the state, they pull your see up until you remediate.

Speaker 7 1:23:09
Well, you can have a unit down all year, and get it out by 1231. And that you can count credit.

Unknown Speaker 1:23:17
It’s perfect. Yeah.

Speaker 9 1:23:24
Chances are changing and we Yeah, it’s crazy to go on January 15. And, you know, bring it back up into December goes down November and you bring it up in April furnishing. So we’re mean, you have all of these balls that you’re trying to really juggling. There’s just little points all over the place where you have to kind of stay on top of this. So obviously, then the earlier you get faster the turnaround is you know, can fly on those issues.

Speaker 1 1:24:00
So really, if we’ve, if we didn’t have a discovery, I mean, I just say thrown out like, anytime like July 1 After they’re not gonna get the tax credit more than likely. Most of the quicker Yeah, right. Exactly. We find something that the second half of the year.

Speaker 3 1:24:16
Yeah. So I don’t think IRS code anticipated was written into this rule. So

Speaker 4 1:24:23
should that factored in when we test? Yeah, when we test that’s the case then you only test the first three months

Speaker 9 1:24:35
of the year. Most of our challenges are for cause Yeah, sure. But

Speaker 2 1:24:40
if you were going to the model where you’re testing like if

Speaker 8 1:24:44
you’ve got a report from the police that someone got arrested for smoking somewhere else, not you now when I go test the unit, but it’s December 21 You’re gonna wait. It from the moment you just didn’t know

Speaker 3 1:24:58
if it’s October I I mean, then you got three months of possible math activities happening in there, it’s going to be worrying

Speaker 2 1:25:04
to us so bad. Yeah, I’m just saying, if you’re gonna go to the routine testing model,

Speaker 9 1:25:11
right. Yeah, that’s sort of the detectors are actually probably make most sense can bring in units or units. remediated, because that’s your baseline, you know, it’s so that you can get through it. I think how many work in existing units? That’s

Unknown Speaker 1:25:29
because it’s hard to attribute it to the current

Speaker 3 1:25:34
person. Yeah. Yeah. So

Speaker 9 1:25:37
well, depending on the circumstances. Or whatever circumstances are actually, like, let’s say, you have a situation where you did work in the unit, and you know, something was replaced, that can’t be contaminated, cannot have been contaminated. And then you find contamination on that. Yeah. And it’s a different set

Unknown Speaker 1:26:02
of clients.

Unknown Speaker 1:26:05
So there’s nuances all over the place, but

Speaker 8 1:26:08
there’s like a mental gymnastics you have to go through with every situation, it’s not like you can not look

Speaker 9 1:26:13
at in the state, they are running some legislation, because the meth laws are really were drafted for housing. And so there’s an inherent conflict in public spaces. And you see that in the libraries on in Boulder County Health, I talked to them, it’s, it’s a completely different such a weird situation in a public space versus housing, in terms of the amount of time you’re exposed to it and surfaces. So I know there’s some legislation being drafted on that. Or it may have already dropped. But that has more to do with public services. So we’ll see, insists it’s not going away. And there’s new drugs coming out constantly. Just heard appointments in Syria that may be similar. It’s the Middle East. So outside of that one housing, there’s, I forgot what the Senate Bill number is. The state dropped it. And it’s in the Senate. And basically, the the legislation is basically saying that for affordable and attainable housing. It basically becomes a use by right. To 13 from a state perspective. The everybody’s opposing, right now, Colorado Municipal League. The County Association, was supposed to testify last Thursday, and finally bowed down at 630, because they’ve been there all day. But basically, the city’s opposing it because it serves homeworld. And so home role is vastly different than statutory cities or counties in the way that it was doing it. They actually exempted counties, oddly enough from this, from having some of those requirements. But I think what I heard in the testimony from CML, everyone basically said, No one agree, no one disagreed with what are the premise, everyone disagreed with the how

Speaker 8 1:28:28
it was like, they were trying to put too much in with no mechanism to enforce unfunded mandates. It didn’t really, in my opinion, do a lot for affordability. It put a lot of pressure on municipalities to create these regional partnerships. That may or may not work for regions and totally disregard regional partnerships that already exist. And I mean, I’ve reviewed it with our team, you know, from the BCHA. It’s different from the county, the counties during doesn’t affect us, but then beyond like what we actually build and all of these municipalities and how this work, and so it just, it seemed like it was just trying to do too much all at once when they could have just rolled out like a phased out bill. Yeah, tackling small pets at a time.

Speaker 9 1:29:17
Yeah. Our biggest issue was served our land use authority as a city. It did get to some things that really deal with affordability like they had a provision. We deal with this hearing in Lompoc. So the City Council adopts land use regulations regarding accessory dwelling units which if you look nationally, accessory dwelling units are a solution to the affordable attainable housing crisis. The difference in that conversation though is in logline. There are so many housing, homeownership associations that the accessory dwelling units really didn’t get focused and very special. For years of the community, because the way the law is currently written homeowners associations can their covenants in their system can override, so you can’t necessarily do it. And so you heard a lot of studies say, we kind of get that idea that makes sense. Not that it makes it a use by right. But at least it goes in the traditional land use process where you have a hearing and some other things and people can engage in a conversation. I think the takeaway? Yeah, who knows, this may pass, even with all this opposition, it may pass on party lines. But if it doesn’t pass, one of the things we’re starting to think about is, as cities and this isn’t really a long run issue, we actually comply with 90% of what that legislation, say, in terms of our land use policies and what we’re doing. It is directed, I think, at communities that have put restrictions in place to not allow for the development of more dense, mixed use housing types. And when people said that, in the testimony of one planner, I believe from I forgot where he was from, he basically said, Look, we know what you’re doing this, you’re doing this for very specific cities, why don’t you just deal with the cities? You didn’t call them out. But if you Google, and you look at growth camps and things you can find out probably you’re talking about I think the lesson for cities, and this is, you know, we know what they want at the state level. And we’re going to try and figure out how we talk to the council about this. But I think if cities don’t make the adjustment and start moving in this direction, whether it’s this year, this session, hopefully not the session, next session session after next, they’re going to drop something to deal with decision. Because if you were going to try to bring the State Demographer and to talk to the city council probably will invite this group. If you listen to the State Demographer, the housing issue becomes very clear in what the problem is. You have people that are in houses that are have transitioned as a family. I’m a prime example my kids are getting in Publix are about to fully go out. But they’re staying in their homes because they can’t afford to find another home that they can downsize into. So that market is becoming stagnant because people are staying in their homes. And you look at the building cycle that we’ve gone into as Colorado. It’s never really caught up. And then when you look at where Millennials are starting to move into the home buying piece, it’s just a perfect storm coming in. And so if the state’s looking at that data, and they know what you need, they will drop something. I mean, if that city’s we don’t start moving holistically in that direction. And I will repeat with Oregon, our counties too. So it’ll be interesting conversation. It’s kind of akin to Metro district legislation where they kept saying, You need to talk about you need to talk about places were tightening up, and they just kept dropping legislation to tighten it up. And so it’ll be an interesting thing to watch over the next three to five years.

Speaker 8 1:33:29
Does the city of Lompoc have plans for creating some incentive incentives or affordability issues? Because the issue I took without the narrative part of that bill was the idea that some low income families sometimes how can I get a home and then have all this money $200,000 lying around to build an adu to create income for themselves? Like that’s not that’s never going to happen? Like, I see ad use as a housing solution. 20 years down the road. Not right now. It’s not only the immediate,

Speaker 9 1:34:02
we’ve created designs for ad use. So you don’t have to necessarily go into the design cost associated with it. I think if you’re willing to hit the affordability requirements, and we can bring in the existing incentives if we have so, I mean,

Speaker 3 1:34:17
there’s still cost stock plans, that if you commit to renting it to a qualified family, which we TBD on that, that’s gonna see. It’s not rolled out yet. You have it. We haven’t rolled it out, because we haven’t figured out clients what that instead of Ford making it affordable should exactly look like Yeah. But we do have the stock points in hand.

Unknown Speaker 1:34:44
That’s nice,

Speaker 3 1:34:45
because this is shorter title. Yes, yeah, shorter entitlements, and you don’t have to pay for design costs.

Speaker 9 1:34:53
That’s the other point of this legislation is they don’t understand the operational issues they get into some things about which code you designed to. And I said, Well, if you don’t do it, then we’re going to make a change. Here. It’s like, we plan on code cycles. And so we tend to be able to have the most updated code set. But we plan that two years out, because the work that you have to do to move into that code cycle is extensive, then you have to educate everyone on the code cycle. So that you can implement it when you actually adopt it. And it doesn’t contemplate any of that. And, and so there’s just a lack of knowledge, on the operational issues, and most of us are thinking the tip of the spear, or saying will slow us down, and will actually produce less housing, because we’re going to be so bogged down in compliance and everything else that we don’t have the capacity to vote,

Unknown Speaker 1:35:56
and they’re not getting any money. Yeah, so

Unknown Speaker 1:36:00
and then back to the prop 123. You know, we’re at a point where I think if anyone can comply with

Speaker 9 1:36:09
cities, it’s figuring out what that’s gonna look like until tomorrow, the other day, we’re gonna bring in some other component other people from the organization, because I think in order to do this, you’re going to have to, you have to be able to tap into those dollars, especially on homeownership financially, to build affordable, and let’s say, attainable 100%. And at that 100%, it’s almost impossible to build that for homeownership opportunities without some deep subsidies, simply because when you factor in the land costume when you factor in the horizontal infrastructure, Charles, those two factors and a lot of shifts you completely in the other direction, and it can’t look like it’s looked. I think that’s the other clear point is, you know, we look like a post war community in terms of the development of our neighborhoods, in order to hit the price points, you almost have to go to three works style, density, construction, narrow lot with long houses, high houses, in order to get your price points because you have to spread that land costs. And that infrastructure costs over more units. And it’s you can’t do without the subsidies.

Speaker 3 1:37:31
So that’s given a couple of presentations on the council. And one two is impacting advocates here in the last couple of weeks. And basically, the median price of the home is not affordable, in my mind is not affordable to the median income family. And so basically, most mama families can no longer afford it just the, you know, standalone house, yard suburban neighborhood, that’s just not where most of our people can be. And it’s only going to do that and so.

Speaker 9 1:38:05
So yeah, it’s impacting hiring. I mean, I’m on the Walmart Economic Development Partnership board. And everyone’s saying it’s impacting hiring. I was in interviews for a position, you get a lot of applicants, but in terms of qualified applicants with experience, the housing, the cost of housing is you narrowing your poll even for positions that can be national position, simply because these are positions that make six figures plus, I mean, around 200,000, when they’re starting to evaluate, oh, I can make 175,000 Here. You know, I get more house versus making 225,000 here, and what I can buy, and so it’s, you know, the best example of this is looking at Boulder. I mean, Boulder is a prime example of the challenge. And we even see in Kochi with council where we find a lot of the people that have sold their homes in Boulder for million plus, and then they buy cash here are saying creates another tension point within the workforce. And what we’re starting to see is people are doing the same thing here and then moving east. And so to the point of now you’re out to affordability has Georgetown Platteville in those areas, which from a workforce perspective is troubling because you may be able to hire but the minute they can find a job. They’re moving closer to home and they’re reducing their commute so it’s it’s now showing itself as an economic development issue. And I’m hearing stories of doctors who make a lot of money, not even willing to move from the south. Sorry, the state of God kids, what they lose in terms of many. We are theories out anything else

Speaker 9 1:40:28
we just got to Bucharest and hope to afford whatever solutions and hopefully it’s hopefully in six months, we can have something that will show the model. It just takes a lot of creativity and Yeah, think outside the box

Unknown Speaker 1:40:43
to get buy in from so many different variables. It’s hard

Speaker 9 1:40:46
labor to buy into this issue. That’s one of the biggest challenges our council is dealing with is it’s a different model. And in we’re starting to see things change. So there’s a developing group in the community, they call themselves MPs. Yes, in my backyard. So we’re definitely seeing that because that’s the other tension point, even in the products we do is I think we’ve yet to go into a process where there hasn’t been opposition, even to the products we want to build from an affordability standpoint, because of pain adjacent to neighborhoods. And the good news is Arlene knows this because we live near each other. I can go I live in a neighborhood that has two affordable housing units and a market rate rental unit, and I haven’t seen the issues that everyone talks about. And so yeah, challenges.

Unknown Speaker 1:41:52
Alright, so let’s adjourn at 1044

Transcribed by https://otter.ai