We know very well what change still needs to happen around race in the US, but what about abroad? Today we’re bringing you a fascinating and unique perspective on this from Awa Diaw who is not only the Global Diversity and Inclusion Project Manager for Microsoft, but a Black woman born in Senegal, raised in the US, and now living in France.
Join us for this powerful episode as we break down Awa’s experiences and observations as a Black American in Paris, how those compare to the treatment of non-American BIPOC in France, and some of her top tips for sparking change around DEI in white-led organizations.
- Some of the most fascinating lessons and bizarre observations from her journey
- A comparison of the education system in the United States vs France
- Why she loves doing this work in a tech company—like Microsoft—in particular
- THIS one approach Awa’s seen work really well in influencing change in a white-led company that didn’t involve focusing on the financial impact of improving their diversity
- Privilege and how she has experienced this very differently in France vs the US
- White supremacy in other countries and how it manifests
- And so much more!
Follow Awa on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adiaw/
If you’d like to support us in continuing this work, we’d be honored if you’d consider donating here: https://www.patreon.com/thehumanizepodcast
Let’s talk about it! Connect with us to continue the conversation: